Thursday, September 9, 2010

What was he thinking??


Last month Ryan accomplished an incredibly difficult race to the top, literally the top, of the mountain in Kaysville. There's this little race called the Bairgutsman, little in the sense that you can't find much information about it and what you do find is very ambiguous. Well, at the suggestion of his "friend" Scott he decided to sign up...kind of, he was talking about it for months before I just went in and committed him by registration!

Essentially this race goes from Fruit Heights FIVE+ MILES STRAIGHT UP THE MOUNTAIN - a 5,000 foot climb - to the radar towers on top, it's then finished with a mere 5+ miles along the top to the finish line before you hitchhike down Farmington Canyon. Hence the title of this post "What was he thinking?" Well, what I was thinking is let's take out more life insurance! But of course he made it and in great time (2h57m, 20th place!! I know, he rocked it!) with minimal thrashing of this legs from the brush - this is definitely not a groomed trail.

Thanks for taking a couple of breaks to share with those of us mere mortals who were sleeping and missed this breathtaking morning view!

5 comments:

Angelle said...

YAY RYAN! That's amazing!

Ashlii Brooke said...

Aw that is so great!! I am so proud of you and those pictures are incredible.

The Busby Family said...

Are you my BROTHER?????

Jill said...

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. Has anyone ever died? What if you fell off a cliff? Farmington canyon is a little scary. I am so glad he made it.

Ryan said...

Thanks everyone!!! It really was much harder than it was explained to me by Scott...Thanks Scott my legs still hurt.. OK not really, and yes it was fun. But seriously I was wondering about that too (whether anyone has died that is). There is a bunch of spots where if you lost your footing you would be a goner. and they take every chance to tell you you could die if you are dumb so maybe. I just kept telling myself "don't walk off cliffs" and it worked so I'm still around and that's kinda cool.