Thursday, January 21, 2010

Res-Illusions

As most of you know I am not typically a flaky person and I really make an effort to do what I say I will do and complete things I start, however last year? Not so much! It was a tough year for me, not awful and not great either but it's over...and so is my complaining about it.

So here we are 2010 and I'm coming back! I hope you didn't think I was going to say there would be a 'new' me, I happen to think pre-2009 Beth is actually quite awesome so I resolve to find her again. I don't expect it to be overly difficult I have an awesome little family and I am starting the year with a stable job that I enjoy and allows me to be home with Dylan, but there are definitely things I plan to accomplish and become, so why not share? I actually took a class once that said if you share your goals you are more likely to accomplish them, it creates some accountability to more than just yourself...blah, blah, blah...

1) To be a better friend and neighbor. In general I over commit myself, my time, Ryan's time, etc. I have finally realized it's not the same with Dylan - I have to turn it down a notch. BUT by doing so I will be able to follow through with what I commit too and that will be rewarding for us all! :)

2) Baby weight? Really? I'm a realist and regardless of where it came from it's got to go! I know this, or some form of it, is on everyone's list and I am a big fan. Let's bring down the national fataverage (it's more fun as one word) and not let this one drop off our list by February. How is this going to happen you ask? Well contrary to my above statement about not over-doing it I have signed up for my first sprint triathlon! Fun!?! I am SO excited!! Training has begun and so far I am loving it - somehow I have to try and ready to keep up with this girl - not likely to happen but I have to shoot for something!

3) Elisabeth & Elizabeth. Yes I mean this in the exact same vein as Julie & Julia. My father-in-law got us all these amazing books for Christmas and one that he got me is a beautiful Italian Food cookbook by Elizabeth David. Check it out HERE. Food AND a book? Does he know me or what?? I started reading this book immediately and am inspired by her passion. Incidentally I watched Julie & Julia a couple of days after Christmas and I knew it was fate - I mean really, we have nearly the same names too and what better way to honor and appreciate this incredible book than by making every single recipe?? The problem with this goal? It truly interferes with #2, therefore this will begin AFTER my Triathlon in June.


4) To learn again. It's so different to be in school and have your mind, beliefs and way of thinking consistently challenged. Without that structure it is easy to let the things you used to enjoy studying fall to the wayside until soon you are left with mere crumbs of the knowledge you worked so hard to gain. Therefore this year I am going to focus on three main subject areas of study, all somewhat related. 1) European art 2) Italian language 3) Roman history. We have courses on the 1st and 3rd from the Teaching Company (again thanks Jim!) and Rosetta Stone for the 2nd. I listen to at least one lecture most days and it's incredibly rewarding. Remember back when you couldn't wait to get out of school and NEVER thought you would actually miss it?? How things change...


I know Gladiator is not 'real' Roman history but can you honestly tell me that this picture doesn't represent exactly why we find it so fascinating?

5) To blog more! Can you tell? I must admit I miss so many of my blogging friends. While I completely understand the issues of 'keeping up with the Jones-es' and 'I'm not as funny as she is' or 'I don't write as well as so-and-so' in truth - I don't care! Personally I blog for me, I wouldn't have anything close to a journal otherwise. And for those who complain that blogs only show the unrealistic, rosy side of life - I get that too, but who cares? I say blog YOUR way, the way that makes you happy, the way that makes it an enjoyable experience and if blogging is anything but enjoyable then don't do it and I will continue to miss you dearly. xoxox

In sticking to Goal #1 that's all for me!

Here's to a fantastic 2010 and accomplishing everything that's in your heart!!

6 comments:

Zach and Cecily said...

you go girlfriend.

Abi said...

See these are the posts i love! I love when people open up and share apart of who they are! LOVE IT. And you are going to rock being a triathlete. You are awesome. And I adore the hell out of you.

mama fish said...

Can I just say...I love that you still blog! Everyone else has turned themselves over to facebook, which is fine, but the two are so different.

I love your goals! You have always been so motivated. You have hit the nail on the head for me with this post, as we have similar things in mind for this year! Good for you!

The Busby Family said...

You are awesome beth! Good luck and you already look great by the way. I just need to keep up with you now!

Marge said...

you can do it. my advice on the weight loss, not that I'm a good example is keep up the exercise, I'm not great in that vein, so I'm trying to eat less (consume less you have less to work off) and eat better, carrots instead of chips. it's working so far. you are great beth!

Beth said...

Thanks everyone! I don't usually put myself out there so it's great to see all the support.

Julie - I agree! Facebook is great (or is it?? :D) but different and I totally use my blog as a journal too.

Lisa - You will pass me up in no time!

Love you all!