Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Flicks

I don't see many movies lately, our weekends fill too quickly with getting the new business ready and hanging out with friends and family but last weekend I was able to enjoy two excellent flicks!

*FIRST--> A movie I have wanted to see for what seems like years...but you know those movies you just have to see but every time you are perusing for something to watch you forget about it completely?  That is Once for me!  Finally Ryan's family had watched it at a movie night we missed and let us borrow it afterward, it still took me over a week and who knows how many late fees to get to it but I am SO happy I finally did.  Once is a very simple movie, low budget and sincere in it's story telling.  The music is incredible (even The Academy thinks so!) and the connection between the boy & girl appears genuine, perhaps because luckily for all of us viewers, it is!  The creators of this movie where successful in making you feel like you were peering, unseen into the lives of real people, a task rarely accomplished on the big screen.  I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys a heartfelt story, has a passion for music or simply needs a reminder of the personal impact from so many of life's relationships. 

>>>SECOND -- At a very distant position from Once on the movie spectrum  is a film in the unique styling of Baz Luhrmann called Strictly Ballroom.  Reminiscent of the mockumentary style of Christopher Guest, this movie takes viewers behind the scenes of the highly serious and competitive world of ballroom dancing in a way that only Baz Luhrmann can.  It's costumes, make-up, dancing and flair for the dramatic are delightful!  I want to have a party just to dress up like these flamboyant dancers!!  I had seen this movie years ago but got SO MUCH more into this time, thanks Jill for a great pick!  I recommend this movie to absolutely everyone for the colorful scenery, the creative filming and especially a good laugh!

3 comments:

Ashlii Brooke said...

I love you! Lets have movie night soon!! We will come to your house even. We need to have some quality ry/beth+ash/cole time.

The Busby Family said...

love strickly ballroom, need to see the other movie, wish we could go to movie night too.

Monica said...

I feel the same way about Once. It was on my must watch list for the longest time. When we finally rented it, it still took a few days before we got around to watching it. But, it was definitely worth it!