Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Half ... Scarrryyy



So this year we had the GENIUS idea that we would run a race early Saturday morning...
The Halloween Half starts at the top of the canyon above Sundance and ends in Orem. It sounds like so much fun to get up at 430AM, dress up and run a race that drops over 2,000ft in elevation, right? Well my body says otherwise! While we did have fun getting up there and we were feeling good (unfortunately we didn't have the time to work on costumes!) the race it's self was challenging and really hard on the body!



Ryan did amazing, of course! We have come to expect nothing less with his running. He finished in 1h 37m, that's an average pace of 7:40 - are you kidding me!?! I am seriously impressed.

I, on the other hand, have decided to look a bit differently at this race...I ran a fantastic 10K with a very long, painful cool down. I was actually pacing around 9:30 until near mile 7 where I tripped, and fell, and hit my knee, hard. This made the last 7 miles GRUELLING and PAINFULLY slow. BUT on the bright side I finished and knocked 17 minutes off of my Moab time from last year.

That being said we are both in a lot of pain, even today, I don't think that EVERY muscle in my body has ever hurt at the same time. It's an entirely new experience and not one I would call pleasant. Not to mention we were pretty pooped for Halloween festivities that night.

But we had a lot of fun and enjoyed running our first race together.
It was a beautiful course on the perfect fall morning!
Fortunately for you I had time to take pictures while trying to distract myself from the pain...

A moving shot.

Bridal Veil Falls

Fall leaves covered the trails.


Thanks for pushing me through babe and running the last mile with me (adding 2 miles to your race day!). I was frustrated and encouragement kept me going!

2 comments:

Abi said...

First of all . . . so many posts. I love that you two switched costumes. Themes are the best.
And don'tcha just LOVE LOVE the Provo trail? I love that run. There is so much to look at and take in. It is GORGEOUS! And congrats on a race well done! You did awesome. YOU ROCK!

The Busby Family said...

wow guys, I didn't know you were doing that!!! Great job!!! I would have totally ran that with you guys. I just love all your halloween costumes! Look great and Dylan is adorable!